Sunday, September 14, 2008

Angel Trinidad (part 2)




A Bend In the Road
Artist: Angel Trinidad Jr.
Writers: Gary Cohn and Dan Mishkin
from DC Comics
House of Mystery No. 314, 1983
(story not shown in full/ sample pages only)

I wrote about Angel Trinidad Jr. in a previous post. Since then I have found more of his work, mostly in issues of G.I. Combat from the mid 1980's. Trinidad illustrated the Boltinoff and Kanigher created Vietnam series entitled the Bravos of Vietnam. His work is far more dense than the other war artists and is easy to pick out. As discussed in my previous posts, Trinidad's trademark montage scenes can be found there. His art is detailed & realistic but still weird...which is probably why I like it so much. The following story from House of Mystery is of even more interest to me. While I do enjoy a good war story, especially if drawn by Joe Kubert, the genre can get a bit tiresome/repetitive for me. And while this mystery story is also a bit run-of-the-mill, the art is anything but ordinary.

The splash on page 1 is incredibly effective. Love that truck just smashing through the road barrier! Later in the story (page 7) this effect is mimicked to greater intensity, actually breaking the barrier of the panels themselves. Most impressive though is page number three. What other artist who draws in such a detailed manner can create this sense of fluidity? Sure, artists like Neal Adams can draw realistically and create great action scenes (fighting flying, etc.). Where Trinidad is different is that he portrays somewhat static and non-action oriented sequences with a dramatic energy. Notice how the lines in the sky reflect a certain tension and anxiety within the mood of the characters themselves. And the somewhat psychedelic images of page 1 and 7 (entering and exiting the tunnel) are also a very nice touch. Now if only I can find some sort of checklist of work Trinidad did outside of the United States. If anyone has any info, please let me know. I am also looking for original art for another Trinidad story entitled The Frogman and the Mermaid.

No comments: